Mapping my mapping
The goal of the 3 day meeting is for artists to work on documentation for their own instrument, performance installation and/or another interactive project. This process is guided by Marije Baalman. Participants are invited to share their documentation and describe their process during the workshop. That way the participants can get feedback and have a dialogue about techniques that will access more in-depth insights of their work and that of others.
The work session has been developed in parallel with the book “Just a question of mapping - ins and outs of composing with realtime data”.
The target audience for the workshop is experienced artists and designers who would like to reflect on their own practice and learn from other’s practices. Participants are asked to have a project that uses interactive technologies. For example:
- an augmented acoustic instrument using sensors
- a digital instrument controlled by MIDI, self-built interfaces and/or game controllers
- an interactive installation that uses sensors and/or cameras for interaction with the public
- an interactive dance setting where one or more dances wear or are tracked by sensors that control sound, light and/or visuals
Dan Gibson explaining his mapping in the work session at iii
The next session is planned in October, 2020: Splendor in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. (exact dates to be determined)
Previous work sessions
- (ONLINE) May 15, 21-22, 26, 2020: V2_ in Rotterdam, the Netherlands.
- (CANCELED due to COVID19) March 14-16: NOTAM in Oslo, Norway
- October 28-30, 2019: iii in The Hague, the Netherlands
To participate in the session at Splendor please send me an email at mapping_at_nescivi_dot_nl with the following before September 15th, 2020:
- Motivation for participating
- Which project you would like to document and analyze during the meeting?
- Please share a brief description and links to any documentation you already have of your instrument, e.g. a video online
If you want to know more about the work session: check this document with an extended description, and if still questions remain, please send me an email!
Splendor has developed a protocol to ensure that we can keep to the Covid-19 regulations, so that everyone in the space can adhere to the distancing rules, and be and feel safe throughout the work session.
We will share the protocol with the participants, once we have made the selection of participants.