Mapping my mapping
The goal of the 3 day meeting is for artists to develop documentation for their own instrument, performance installation and/or another interactive project. The process will be guided by Marije Baalman. Participants are invited to share their documentation and describe their process during the workshop. That way the participants can build feedback and dialogue techniques that will access more in-depth insights of their work and that of others.
The work session has been developed in parallel with the book “Just a question of mapping - ins and outs of composing with realtime data”.
The target audience for the workshop is experienced artists and designers who would like to reflect on their own practice and learn from other’s practices. Participants are asked to have a project that uses interactive technologies. For example:
- an augmented acoustic instrument using sensors
- a digital instrument controlled by MIDI, self-built interfaces and/or game controllers
- an interactive installation that uses sensors and/or cameras for interaction with the public
- an interactive dance setting where one or more dances wear or are tracked by sensors that control sound, light and/or visuals
The first of these work sessions was on October 28, 29, and 30, 2019 at the Instrument Inventors Initiative (iii) workspace in The Hague.
Further sessions are planned for 2020 in Oslo, Rotterdam and Amsterdam:
- March 14-16: NOTAM in Oslo, Norway
- April 21-23: V2_ in Rotterdam, the Netherlands
- August 19-21: Splendor in Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Information on how to participate in the work sessions will follow or is available through the links above.
To participate in the session at V2_ please send me an email at mapping_at_nescivi_dot_nl with the following, preferably before March 31st:
- Motivation for participating
- Which project you would like to document and analyze during the meeting?
- Please share a brief description and links to any documentation you already have of your instrument, e.g. a video online
The work session will be three days, on each working from 11:00 until 18:00 on the dates April 21, 22 and 23, 2020. The location where it will be is: V2_, Eendrachtsstraat 10, Rotterdam - close to Eendrachtsplein metro/tram station.
If you want to know more about the work session: please send me an email!